Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Word-crafting

I love fantasy.

The problem with fantasy is that it needs languages.

The problem with languages is that you cannot simply schmear a bunch of nonsense together and call it good.

In my WIP (work-in-progress, for the uninitiated :-) the story takes place in a world created on two fallen stars. Each of these stars broke into smaller pieces, forming the continents of this land.

It's a realm of power, founded on and ruled by all manner of magics. For such a world I need a really tight language. So, right now I'm reading this book, and exploring this website, and browsing this website, and trying to resist the impulse to purchase the book form of the website. I'm using a notebook and some fine inky pens to inspire my creative juices to be really, really impressive. And after a bit I'll need to work on an alphabet.

So guess what I'm doing this weekend? Yep, you've got it. How about you? Who else is going to go a bit mad and start creating a language? It's going to be fun! :-)


Here's my lovely world. Don't you SEE why it needs a lovely language??? I drew this as a doodle at work - first I drew a rough sketch of a dragon, and then a rough sketch of a unicorn, and then I imagined what they'd look like as continents. Voila! Not bad!


Blogger has (once again) messed around with its formatting. I hate this. Why can't it go back to the way it was? So hard to WORK with it. Shriek!

Today is the feast of St. Mark the Evangelist. Happy feast day to all the Marks in the world!

Oh, and here's a word for all those people who find makeup to be a necessity:

FARD
To apply cosmetics

All right ladies and makeup artists, FARD carefully!

God bless!

Cat

18 comments:

  1. Oh my, Cat! I LOVE your map. And I love that you shared how they started from the sketch of a dragon and a unicorn. This is so very cool =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruth. It turned out pretty well, hey?

      Delete
  2. Darn, Cat, you are very talented. I can totally see the unicorn and dragon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! **waves flag** That means I did it right. :)

      Delete
  3. I admire the world-building you are doing. The map could be collectible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Mirka. It looks pretty, doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. I write urban fantasy and paranormal so the need for a new language isn't really there. I give you a lot of credit, Kat. This isn't easy. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I love world-building fantasy. It's one of my favourite things. :)

      Delete
  5. Did my post reach you. It usually tells me it did, but this time it didn't. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow! Shu-reeek, girl, you are crazy! That is most excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it you like it, huh? Thanks, Amy. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, it's gorgeous! I've always wanted to be a fantasy writer, but the whole world-building thing seems to be beyond me. Good luck with the language work this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. Luckily, I've always been drawn to this kind of creative immersion. I like making my own rules for my own world. :)

      Delete
  8. That looks awesome, Cat! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your map is terrific. Did you do the drawings for your blog heading too?
    Good luck with your world-building.

    God Bless,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Susan. Yes, I drew the picture of my blog's heading. I love to draw. :)

    ReplyDelete

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...