Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Me: Fantasy Writer

My favourite type of writing is fantasy. I love to write really in-depth fantasy, the kind that takes a lot of thought and plotting to make it believable. I think that's just my perfectionist nature coming out. I can't stand to write something that just doesn't make sense.

My favourite fantasy tales are the kinds with dramatic conflicts and climaxes. I enjoy the tame, romping tales like "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" or "Dealing with Dragons". But my heart really gets captured in the tales of "Lord of the Rings" or "The Riddlemaster of Hed", where there is a world at stake if Good fails.

I also really appreciate Orson Scott Card. I believe he mainly writes science-fiction, a genre I'd like to explore later on in my writing life, but he makes excellent pointers on how to craft the perfect fantasy world. I heartily recommend his book to any serious sci-fi/fantasy writer. It is called "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy," and I believe all fantasy writers...heck, even all writers!...will thorougly enjoy it.

Don't forget, there's a contest going on right now! Head on over to Cat's Mathoms and check it out. Enter! Submit! You could be the winner of the one-of-a-kind Writing Buddy. (hint hint)

5 comments:

  1. I love fantasy, too. There's something wonderful about being carried away to a whole new place that never grows old.

    Card's How to Write SF&F book is great. Have you also seen the Ultimate Fantasy Writer's Reference? In some bookstores they sell the two together in a binder-type thing. Both are fabulous references for fantasy or SF writers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out Orson Scott Card's book. I've read my fair share of fantasy, but I'm new to writing it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cat,

    I'll be honest, fantasy is just not my thing - when reading, writing, or even in movies. I don't know, maybe I'm imaginationally challenged. I'm sure that's not a word. But I like my stories firmly grounded in the real world. Even as a kid watching The Wizard of Oz, I'd totally lose interest before Dorothy even made it to Oz. However, I have great respect for anyone who can undertake the kind of planning, plotting, and writing necessary to write fantasy. My hat's off to you, Cat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ellen, YES! I have so almost gotten that book like eight times. I'll have to hurry to Borders and see if I can find it and get it before it disappears forever!

    Miranda, that book is really good. I think you'll like it. It's inspiring.

    Luv, not all genres of writing are everyone's cup of tea. I find non-ficion excessively dull, though I know some people who devour it like hotcakes. Whatever works best for you is the best way to go, says I. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe like luv, I find myself zoning out where there are too many fantasy names and places and laws to remember, but I definitely have a deep love of all things magical. For me, Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce hits the perfect note in terms of magic-that-makes-a-kind-of-sense. I wonder if you've read Tolkien's essay 'On Fairy Stories' or CS Lewis's 'Sometimes Fairy Stories May Say Best What’s To Be Said'? They're both big favourites of mine on this topic. Anyway, it's lovely to 'meet' you and I'm so pleased to have discovered your blog!

    ReplyDelete

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...