Friday, May 27, 2011

Writing from the Heart

How do you judge a book?

I love books where I really connect with the MC, and really empathize with the situation. I love it when I'm hanging on with every breath for the character, and can't stop turning the pages.

A good example of this is Starcrossed. I really loved this book. There was a little bit of inuendo that I didn't like, but it was minimal, and the main character, Digger, was so alive that I could "censor" the bits I didn't like and devour the rest. I started the book, and though I thought it started off a teensy bit slow, there was a point where it knocked a stone loose, and the rest of the story went hurtling down the mountainside at a niftly clip. I am looking forward to Elizabeth C. Bunce's other books in her Thief Errant series, the second of which is called Liar's Moon.

On the flip side, I just finished the book The Last Hunt, the last book in the Unicorn Chronicles. I've read the other books in the series, and of course I had to read this one. Bruce Coville is a really great author. I couldn't stop reading, for all his chapters ended on a cliffhanger, and you just couldn't stop there, you know? However, I just didn't connect with his characters, ANY of his characters, the main character, the protagonist, the secondary character, any of them. So I finished that book with a feeling of dissatisfaction.

What is your opinion on books? Will you keep reading, even if you don't connect with the character?

7 comments:

  1. I'll keep reading sometimes. If I don't really like (or connect with) the characters, there has to be something else to make me keep reading. If the plot is good, like you said, or if it's a really cool fantasy world, I would keep reading. Usually I feel a little blah at the end, though. I'm a character first kind of girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Ellen. Once I finished the book I wasn't wild about, I was left with a feeling of "Well, that was a waste of time." Oh well. I'll just work REALLY hard to make my characters sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to always finish a book if I started it, but now there are so many great books on my TBR list that if one doesn't keep my interest, I'll stop reading. I hate to do it because I know the author put a lot of time and his/herself into the book, but reading is subjective. It's okay not to love every book you read. Sure enough, many others will love that book you just couldn't get into.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. ANd I've found that writing from the heart happens in the revision stages for me. It makes such a difference reading a story when it's written from the heart... it moves you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The story has to be strong if I don't connect with the characters to keep reading. If I am not pulled in quickly the book will hit the shelf and collect dust until I give it away. Your blog decor is eye catching - lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, I've got two books that I started, went "Hmph" at, and put back down. I have an enormous pile of books I'm wanting to get through, so I just don't think I'm going to bother with the ones I don't like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PK Hrezo, nice to see you! Yes, a lot of times my first draft tends to be just a "spilling out" of the story idea. During revision is when a lot more of my character's facets are revealed.

    Brenda, yep. My new policy is, You don't grab me, I ain't reading.
    Aw, and thanks for the comment 'bout my blog. I think it's purty, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...