Saturday, April 16, 2011

Amazing Outlining

The coolest thing happened to me yesterday.

First of all, I apologize to the brilliant mind that recommended trying this particular method of outlining. I'm pretty sure it was on a blog somewhere that another writer friend shared, but it could have been in one of the multitudinous writing books that I own. Wherever, and whoever, it was, Mind, I salute you!

Okay, so this is what happened.

First off, I put a list of numbers down on paper, one through twenty. Next, by number one, I wrote the opening sentence, or "thought" for the story. Then, by number twenty, I wrote the ending "thought" for the story. Then I went up to number two and wrote what came after number one. Then I went down to number nineteen and wrote what happened before number twenty. I went back up to the top, and wrote down in number three what happened after number two. Then I ran back to the bottom of the page, and discovered in number eighteen what occurred before number nineteen.

In this way, I flip-flopped between writing down what happens next and what came first until I reached the middle of the story. Once I got that done, I went to a fresh piece of paper and briefly drafted out chapter synopses of each number's sentence.

The example is kind of like this.

Start with a row of numbers. For this example, we'll work small. How about a Picture Book? Sounds good.

Here's a row of ten numbers.
1. 
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.

Next, insert the first thought.
1. Dora is a tall giraffe.

Now, go down to the last thought.
10. Now all the animals love Dora!

Now go back up and write what comes after one.
2. All the other animals are small.

Now, what happens before 10?
9. But, Dora is tall! She can reach the kite.

(Before all of you go "huh?" just keep reading. Believe me, the kite ties in. :-)

Okay, so what happens after two?
3. Dora's lonely, because all the small animals go off to play without her.

Now, what happens before nine?
8. The tree is so tall, none of the animals can reach the kite.

Now, go up to four.
4. Dora watches the animals having a picnic beneath a tall tree, and cries.

Now, find out what happens before eight.
7. The kite gets stuck in the tree!

Okay, what happens after five?
5. The littlest mouse has brought a kite, and since there's a lovely breeze they send the kite into the sky.

This is where it gets cool. Fill in six, and look at this!!
6. The breeze is so strong, it pulls the kite out of little mouse's paw.

Now, check it out! Here is the whole outline rearranged in order.

1. Dora is a tall giraffe.
2. All the other animals are small.
3. Dora's lonely, because all the small animals go off to play without her.
4. Dora watches the animals having a picnic beneath a tall tree, and cries.
5. The littlest mouse has brought a kite, and since there's a lovely breeze they send the kite into the sky.
6. The breeze is so strong, it pulls the kite out of little mouse's paw.
7. The kite gets stuck in the tree!
8. The tree is so tall, none of the animals can reach the kite.

9. But, Dora is tall! She can reach the kite.
10. Now all the animals love Dora!

Ta Da! Now, before you tell me it's too confusing, try it. THEN tell me how brilliant it is.

And if one of you knows who the original creator of this brilliant form of outlining is, please share. If I myself find out who it is, I shall share.

Until later, then, God bless!

15 comments:

  1. I am so going to try this! Thanks for sharing such an intriguing sort of strategy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cat, this strategy is amazing! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to try that....It's cool how everything fits when it's all done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting strategy. Tell us how it works for you with your writing. Would love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It works so well! Really. I've done it twice now, for a different story I was working on, and for this PB story. Thanks to this strategy, I now have my outlines done! It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cat,

    This was shared on the ICL Writer's Retreat. Here is a link to the blog post that was shared:

    http://mayrassecretbookcase.blogspot.com/2010/10/plot-your-novel-in-15-minutes-or-less.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I love new ideas like this and I can't wait to try it!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Halli, go for it. I think you'll be amazed. I know I was!

    Beth, thank you. I KNEW I'd read it on a blog somewhere, and I thought it was at WR, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the link. Peeps, see if you can check out the link. It's amazing. She's an awesome writer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful that it worked. Must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great strategy, I am so going to try :)
    Loved your writing, beautiful blog!
    All the best
    Marinela

    Short Poems

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a neat idea. I must try it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I gave you an award over on my blog. Come stop by to claim it. http://www.kellyhashway.com/apps/blog/show/6777883-the-versatile-blogger-award

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing strategy - just wondering how that will work for a 90 000 word novel with 35 chapters. Ever seen grey matter in knots??
    Congrats on you award btw..
    And I think the story is really cute...
    :) Tee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cat,
    This is brilliant! I am definitely going to try this method. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kelly, thanks so much! :-*

    Tee, I'll try it out and let you know. ;) However, I did use it to outline what looks to be a potentially large book, so we'll see, we'll see.

    Allyn, tell me if it works for you! I think I'm going to start swearing by it. :)

    ReplyDelete

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...