Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Music and Words

All right, I'm taking a poll.

Okay, not really.

But seriously now, how many writers NEED to listen to music while they write? Hmm? Hmm? Raise your hands. C'mon, get them up there.

Okay. How many listen to vocal music while writing? How many listen to soundtracks? How many listen to classical, opera, country? What's the music you need to listen to in order to get your thought processes going?

I love to listen to soundtracks. There's something about soundtracks that let me visualize scenes, settings, and dialogue of my story through the the crescendos and rifts of the soundtracks. I can't really do vocal music, since I end up singing with the music and concentrating on my vocal delivery rather than on what I'm writing. Neither can I do opera, since I end up trying to imitate the sopranos and giving myself a bad case of the giggles. I love country music, too, and the same problem happens, where I just sing and sing instead of write and write. So, soundtracks are my thing.

Now that I've posed my question, I'm going to turn on my Voyage of the Dawn Treader soundtrack and bury myself in my WIP, Whisper Mansion.

God bless!

10 comments:

  1. That's interesting... I actually don't listen to anything. Usually I write while my man is sleeping beside me or watching "Modern Family" in the other room. Perhaps I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like it quiet when I write. I listen to my characters and don't want anything to drown them out. I do like to listen to music before I write though. It helps get the creative juices flowing. Plus my daughter and I like to dance before she naps. It tires her out and does the opposite for me. It energizes me to write.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't listen to music at all when I write. Sometimes I listen before, to rev myself up on the theme. I do that while I exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAVE to have music on. It's vocal and usually mello. My absolute favorite is Joshua Radin. His words and music inspire me every time. For me, silence is deafening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. I always need music. It sooths my soul and brings me into focus. It helps me write my scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot write if there is any words surrounding me. That means I can't write with the TV or any music with lyrics. Especially if I know the lyrics, because then I just want to sing!

    I like writing to purely instrumentals of any type, but mostly jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always need music when I write. Most of the time it's soundtracks- I was listening to cues from the Shawshank Redemption earlier- and sometimes it's classical or jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer soundtracks myself, William. There's just something about the swelling crescendos that do it for me.

    Soundtracks or silence. :) Both are good. But, I do like quiet music playing in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to listen to music before I write - that way I'll be inspired, but not distracted :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love music on when I write. I can do vocal or just instrumental music and I hum or whistle to both! When I write I can usually restrain myself from singing along...usually. :-) And being home schooled, I definitely developed a strong skin towards distractions! I can work through virtually anything!

    ReplyDelete

See my comment box? Want to know a secret?

*whispers* It's actually a TARDIS comment box! If you write long enough, you'll see... it's bigger on the inside!

Isn't that cool?

Now that you know that, aren't you going to throw a comment in there? You KNOW you want to. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...